Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843
PhD Geography, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
MS Civil Engineering, Istanbul Technical University
BS Civil Engineering, Istanbul Technical University
- G.K. Gilbert Award for Excellence in Geomorphological Research, Association of American Geographers (AAG), Geomorphology Speciality Group (2012)
- Reds Wolman Student Research Award, AAG, Geomorphology Speciality Group (2006)
- Graduate Teacher Certificate Award, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign (2006)
- Excellence in Teaching, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign (2005)
- Best Student Paper Award, AAG, Graduate Student Affinity Group (2005)
- Charles S. Alexander Fellowship for Women in Geography, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign (2004–2005)
- Marion G. Russell Graduate Fellowship, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign (2002–2003)
GEOG 626, Fluvial Geomorphology
GEOG 360-W, Natural Hazards, writing intensive
GEOG 360, Natural Hazards
GEOG 467, Dynamic Modeling of Earth and Environmental Systems
GEOG 667, Dynamic Modeling of Earth and Environmental Systems
GEOG 203, Planet Earth
Planform-scale morphodynamics of meandering rivers
River-floodplain interactions and biomorphodynamics
Impacts of global change on fluvial systems
Remote sensing of fluvial landscapes
- Filippi AM, Güneralp, Randall J* (In press), Estimation of floodplain aboveground biomass using multispectral remote sensing and nonparametric modeling, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation.
- Filippi AM, Güneralp I, Randall J* (2014), Hyperspectral remote-sensing of aboveground biomass on a river meander bend using multivariate adaptive regression splines and stochastic gradient boosting, Remote Sensing Letters 5(5), 432-441, doi:10.1080/2150704X.2014.915070.
- Güneralp I, Filippi AM, Hales BU* (2014), Influence of river channel morphology and bank characteristics on water surface boundary delineation using high-resolution passive remote sensing and template matching, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, doi: 10.1002/esp.3560.
- Castillo CR*, Güneralp I, Güneralp B (2014), Influences of Changes in Developed Land and Precipitation on Hydrology of a Coastal Texas Watershed, Applied Geography 47: 154–167, doi: 10.1016/j.apgeog.2013.12.009.
- Güneralp B, Güneralp I, Castillo CR*, Filippi AM (2013), Land Change in the Mission-Aransas Coastal Region, Texas: Implications for Coastal Vulnerability and Protected Areas. Sustainability 5(10):4247–4267, doi: 10.3390/su5104247.
- Filippi AM, Güneralp I (2013), Influence of shadow removal on image classification in riverine environments,Optics Letters 38(10), 1676–1678, doi: 10.1364/OL.38.001676.
- Güneralp I, Filippi AM, Hales BU* (2013), River flow boundary delineation from digital aerial photography and ancillary images using Support Vector Machines, GIScience & Remote Sensing 50(1): 1–25, doi: 10.1080/15481603.2013.778560.
- Güneralp I, Marston R (2012), Process-form Linkages in Meander Morphodynamics: Bridging Theoretical Modeling and Real World Complexity, Progress in Physical Geography 36(6), 718–746, doi: 10.1177/0309133312451989.
- Abad JD, Güneralp I, Zolezzi G, Hooke J (Editors) (2012), Meandering Channels, Geomorphology 163–164, 1–118. Link
- Güneralp I, Abad JD, Zolezzi G, Hooke J (2012), Meandering channels: Advances and challenges in research,Geomorphology 163, 1–9, doi: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2012.04.011.
- Filippi AM, Bhaduri BL, Naughton T, King AL, Scott SL, Güneralp I (2012), Hyperspectral aquatic radiative transfer modeling using a high-performance computing-based approach, GIScience & Remote Sensing 49(2), 275–298,doi: 10.2747/1548-1603.49.2.275.
- Güneralp I, Rhoads BL (2011), Influence of floodplain erosional heterogeneity on planform complexity of meandering rivers, Geophysical Research Letters 38, L14401, doi: 10.1029/2011GL048134.
- Güneralp I, Rhoads BL (2010), Spatial autoregressive structure of meander evolution revisited, Geomorphology120(3–4), 91–106, doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2010.02.010.
- Güneralp I, Rhoads, BL (2009), Empirical analysis of planform curvature–migration relation of meandering rivers,Water Resources Research 45, W09424, doi: 10.1029/2008WR007533.
- Abad JD, Rhoads BL, Güneralp I, García MH (2008), Flow structure at different stages in a meander-bend with bendway weirs, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 134(8), 1052–1063, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2008)134:8(1052).
- Güneralp I, Rhoads BL (2008), Continuous characterization of the planform geometry and curvature of meandering rivers, Geographical Analysis 40(1), 1–25, doi: 10.1111/j.0016-7363.2007.00711.x.
- Water Faculty, in Water Management and Hydrological Science, Interdisciplinary Graduate Water Degree Program, Texas A&M University (Jan 2009–Present)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Geography, Texas A&M University (Jan 2008–Present)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Geography, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Aug 2002–Aug 2007)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Civil Engineering, Istanbul University (Aug 1998–Aug 2000)
- Project Engineer, IMECE Water Resources Management and Environmental Technologies, Istanbul, Turkey (Jun 1994–Aug 1997)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Geophysical Union
- Association of American Geographers
- Geological Society of America
- Association for Women in Science