Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843
Ph.D. Cornell University, 1997
B.A. Geology and Environmental Studies with Geography Core, Macalester College, 1990
Recipient of the Texas A&M Association of Former Students College Level Distinguished Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching (2004)
Recipient of the Texas A&M College of Geoscience Robert C. Runnels Excellence in Advising Award (2003)
GEOG 203 - Planet Earth, an Introduction to Earth System Science
GEOG 232 - Cartography and Visualization
GEOG 361 - Remote Sensing in Geosciences
GEOG 390 - Principles of GIS
GEOG 476 – GIS Practicum
GEOG 651 - Remote Sensing for Geographical Analysis
GEOG 660 - Applications in Geographic Information Science
GEOG 661 - Digital Image Processing
GEOG 665 - GIS-Based Spatial Analysis and Modeling
GEOG 696 - Geomorphology and Remote Sensing
GEOS 405 – Environmental Geosciences
Dr. Klein's current research interests lie in the application of remote sensing and geographic information science (GIScience) techniques to study the cryosphere. He and his students are currently using remote sensing to monitor tropical glacier recession and he has been actively involved in the development of algorithms to measure snow extent and snow albedo from data collected by NASA's MODIS instrument. Dr. Klein uses GIScience techniques to study human impacts in Antarctica. Since 1999, he has been involved in a long-term environmental monitoring program at McMurdo Station, Antarctica, and in 2014 he and his colleagues have extended this monitoring program to Palmer Station. Dr. Klein also has considerable interest in how remote sensing/GIS can aid in improving geographic education and has been working with teachers on a number of educational projects.
- Long-Term Monitoring of Human Impacts at McMurdo Station, Antarctica-Phase 5 US Army Corp of Engineers Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (CRRL).
- Bednarz, S., Bednarz R., Fillipi, A. and Klein, Advancing Geospatial Skills in Science and Social Science (AGSSS) - Track 1, GK-12. National Science Foundation Division of Graduate Education, 2005-06-01 to 2008-05-30.
- Filler, D.M., Kennicutt, M.C.II, Snape, I., Sweet. S. and Klein, A. 2015. Arctic and Antarctic Spills in M. Fingas (Editor) Handbook of Oil Spill Science and Technology. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, pp. 497-512. ISBN: 978-470-45551-7.
- Sweet, S.T., Kennicutt, M.C. II and Klein, A.G. September 2014. The grounding of the Bahia Paraiso, Arthur Harbor, Antarctica. Distribution and fate of oil spill related hydrocarbons in M. Fingas (Editor) Handbook of Oil Spill Science and Technology. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, pp. 547-556. ISBN: 978-470-45551-7.
- Albert, T., Klein, A., Kincaid, J., Huggel, C., Racoviteanu, A., Arnaud, Y., Silverio, W. and Ceballos, J.L. 2014. Remote sensing of rapidly diminishing tropical glaciers in the Northern Andes. in Global Land Ice Measurements from Space, J.S. Kargel, G.J. Leonard, M.P. Bishop, A. Kääb, and B. Raup (Editors), Praxis-Springer : Heidelberg, pp. 609-638. ISBN: 978-3-540-79817-0. doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-79818-7_26.
- Klein, A.G., Sweet, S.T., Kennicutt, M.C. II, Wade, T.L., Palmer T. and Montagna, P. 2014. Long term monitoring of human impacts to the terrestrial environment at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. in T. Tin, D. Liggett, P. Maher. and M. Lamers, (eds). Antarctic Futures: Human engagement with the Antarctic Environment, pp. 213-227. doi: 10.1007/978-94-007-6582-5.
- Raup, B.H., SiriJodhaS, K., Armstrong, R.L., Sneed, W.A., Hamilton, G.S., Paul, F., Cawkwell, F., Beedle, M.Jl, Menounos, B.P., Wheate, R.D., Rott, H., Shiyin, L., Xin, L., Donghui, S., Guodong, C., Kargel, J.S., Larsen, C.F., Molnia, B., Kincaid, J.L., Klein, A. Konovalov, V. 2014 , Quality in the GLIMS Glacier Database in Global Land Ice Measurements from Space, J.S. Kargel, G.J. Leonard, M.P. Bishop, A. Kääb, and B. Raup (Editors), Praxis-Springer : Heidelberg, pp. 163-182. ISBN: 978-3-540-79817-0. doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-79818-7_7.
- *Jo, Injeong, Klein, A., Bednarz, R., and Bednarz S. 2012. An exploration of spatial thinking in introductory GIS courses, in D. Unwin, K. Foote, N. Tate and D. DiBiase (Editors) Teaching Geographic Information Science in Higher Education, Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 211-229.
- Goldberg, D., M. Olivares, Z. Li, and A. G. Klein. 2014, Maps & GIS Data Libraries in the Era of Big Data and Cloud Computing, Journal of Map & Geography Libraries, 10(1), 100-122. doi: 10.1080/15420353.2014.893944
- Klein, A.G., Sweet, S.T., Wade, T.L., Sericano, J.L. and Kennicutt, M.C. 2012. Spatial patterns of total petroleum hydrocarbons in the terrestrial environment at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. Antarctic Science. doi:10.1017/S0954102012000429.
- *Aly, M.H., Giardino, J.R. Klein, A.G. and Zebker, H.A. 2012. InSAR study of shoreline change along the Damietta Promontory, Egypt. Journal of Coastal Research 28(5). 1263-1269.
- *Aly, M.H., Klein, A.G., Zebker, H.A., and Giardino, J.R. 2012. Land Subsidence in the Nile Delta of Egypt Measured by SAR Interferometry. Remote Sensing Letters 3(7): 621-630.
- *Dobreva, I.D. and Klein, A.G. 2011. Fractional snow cover mapping through artificial neural network analysis of MODIS surface reflectance. Remote Sensing of Environment 115(12): 3355-3366. doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2011.07.018.
- Kennicutt, M.C.II, Klein, A.G., Montagna, P., Sweet, S., Wade, T., Palmer , T., Sericano, J. and Denoux, G. 2010. Temporal and Spatial Patterns of Anthropogenic Disturbance at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. Environmental Research Letters. 304010. doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/5/3/034010
- *Aly, M.H., Zebker, H.A, Giardino, J.R. and Klein, A.G. 2009. Permanent Scatterer Investigation of Land Subsidence in Greater Cairo, Egypt. Geophysical Journal International 178(3), 1238-1245(8): doi: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2009.04250.x
- Klein, A.G., Kennicutt, M.C. II, Wolff, G.A., Sweet, S.T., Bloxom, T., Gielstra, D.A. and Cleckley, M. 2008. The Historical Development of McMurdo Station, Antarctica, an Environmental Perspective. Polar Geography 31(3-4):119-144. doi: 10.1080/10889370802579856.
- Klein, A.G. and Kincaid, J.L., 2008. On the disappearance of the Puncak Mandala ice cap, Papua. Journal of Glaciology, 54(184): 195-198.
- Klein, A.G. and Kincaid, J.L. 2006. Retreat of glaciers on Mt. Jaya, Irian Jaya determined from 2000 and 2002 IKONOS satellite images. Journal of Glaciology, 52(176):65-79.
- Lee, S., Klein, A.G., and Over, T. 2005. An assessment of the suitability of MODIS snow products for simulating streamflow in the Upper Rio Grande River Basin using the snowmelt runoff model. Hydrological Processes, 19:2951-2972.
- Lee, S., Klein, A.G., and Over, T. 2004. Effects of the El Niño/Southern Oscillation on temperature, precipitation, snow water equivalent and resulting streamflow in the Upper Rio Grande River Basin. Hydrological Processes, 18:1053-1071.
- Klein, A.G. and Barnett, A.C. 2003. Validation of daily MODIS snow cover maps of the Upper Rio Grande River Basin for the 2000-2001 snow year. Remote Sensing of Environment, 86:162-176.
- Klein, A.G. and Stroeve, J. 2002. Development and validation of a snow albedo algorithm for the MODIS instrument. Annals of Glaciology, 34:45-52.
- Professor, Texas A&M University, Department of Geography, 2015-present,
- Associate Professor, Texas A&M University, Department of Geography, 2004-2015
- Assistant Professor, Texas A & M University, Department of Geography, 1998-2004.
- Visiting Scientist, Universities Space Research Association (USRA), Hydrological Sciences Branch, NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center, 1997-1998. Algorithm development and validation of a global snow-cover mapping algorithm for the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) instrument.
- Lecturer, Geography Department, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Spring 1998.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Cornell University, NASA EOS Interdisciplinary Investigation, 1990-1996. Investigated modern and late Pleistocene glacier and snow distribution in the central Andes and Bhutan Himalayas for paleoclimate reconstructions
- Geologist, U.S. Geological Survey, Branch of Eastern Regional Geology, Summer 1990. Performed field mapping and pedological analysis of Holocene and Pleistocene river terraces along the Potomac River, Virginia.
- Hydrologist, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Summer 1988-Spring 1989. Conducted aquifer tests and other groundwater investigations in response to severe drought conditions in Minnesota.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Geophysical Union
- Association of American Geographers
- International Glaciological Society