Texas A&M University
810 Eller O&M Building
College Station, Texas 77843-3147
Ph.D. Climate System Science, University of Texas at Austin (2014)
M.S. Oceanography, University of South Florida (2008)
B.S. Marine Science, Chemistry, Eckerd College (2006)
- The paleoclimate of the tropical oceans and atmosphere on all time scales, most especially: the geographic regions of the West Pacific Warm Pool and the Western Hemisphere Warm Pool, as well as the phenomena of the El Niño-Southern Oscillation, decadal- to multidecadal-scale ocean-atmosphere variability, and anthropogenic contributions to changes in these systems.
- Generation of multicentury, high-resolution proxy reconstructions of rainfall amount and sea surface conditions during the Common Era in the tropics using long-lived, slow growing coral species and fast growing calcite stalagmites.
- Developing and refining light stable isotope proxies applicable to tropical paleoclimatology, such as: calibrating and verifying climate recording in slow growing coral species from the tropical Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, West Pacific and Indian Oceans, as well as the development of aquarium culture approaches to the investigation of isotopic fractionation in coral skeletons in such a manner as to be practical and relevant for coral paleoclimate workers.
- Method development and implementation of high-precision techniques for light stable isotope analyses of natural materials using continuous flow, cavity ringdown and dual inlet approaches.
- Maupin, C. R., J. W. Partin, C.-C. Shen, T. M. Quinn, K. Lin, F. W. Taylor, J. L. Banner, K. Thirumalai, D. J. Sinclair (2014), Persistent decadal-scale rainfall variability in the tropical South Pacific Convergence Zone through the past six centuries. Clim. Past., 10, 1319-1332. doi:10.5194/cp-10-1319-2014. www.clim-past.net/10/1319/2014/cp-10-1319-2014.html
- DeLong, K. L., J. A. Flannery, R. Z. Poore, T. M. Quinn, C.R. Maupin, K. Lin, C. C. Shen (2014), A reconstruction of sea surface temperature variability in the southeastern Gulf of Mexico from 1734–2008 CE using cross dated Sr/Ca records from the coral Siderastrea siderea. Paleoceanography. 29(5), pp. 403-422. doi: 10.1002/2013PA002524. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2013PA002524/abstract
- Maupin, C. R., J. W. Partin, C.-C. Shen, T. M. Quinn, K. Lin, F. W. Taylor, J. L. Banner, K. Thirumalai, D. J. Sinclair (2013), Persistent decadal-scale rainfall variability in the tropical South Pacific Convergence Zone through the past six centuries. Clim. Past. Discuss., 9, 5593-5625. doi:10.5194/cpd-9-5593-2013. www.clim-past-discuss.net/9/5593/2013/cpd-9-5593-2013.html
- Partin, J. W., T. M. Quinn, C.-C. Shen, F. W. Taylor, J. Emile-Geay, C. R. Maupin, K. Lin, C. S. Jackson, J. L. Banner, D. J. Sinclair, C.-A. Huh (2013), Multi-decadal Rainfall Variability in South Pacific Convergence Zone as Revealed by Stalagmite Geochemistry. Geology. 41(11), pp. 1143-1146. doi:10.1130/G34718.1.http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/early/2013/09/06/G34718.1.abstract
- DeLong, K. L., J. A. Flannery, C. R. Maupin, R. Z. Poore, T. M. Quinn (2011), A coral Sr/Ca calibration and replication study of two massive corals from the Gulf of Mexico. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 307, pp. 117-128. doi:10.1016/j.palaeo.2011.05.005.www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031018211002501
- Maupin, C. R., T. M. Quinn, and R. B. Halley (2008). Extracting a climate signal from the skeletal geochemistry of the Caribbean coral Siderastrea siderea. Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst., 9(12), Q12012, doi:10.1029/2008GC002106. onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2008GC002106/abstract
- 2013 – Present: Research Associate and Facilities Manager, Stable Isotope Geosciences Facility (SIGF), Department of Geography, Texas A&M University
- 2008 – 2013: Graduate Research Assistant, Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas at Austin
- 2008: Research Engineer, Laboratory Technician and Supervisor, Analytical Laboratory for Paleoclimate Studies (ALPS), Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas at Austin
- 2006 – 2008: Graduate Research Assistant, College of Marine Science, University of South Florida
- 2002 – 2006: Aquarium Assistant Invertebrate Biologist, Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium