Texas A&M University
O&M Building 804
College Station, Texas 77843
GEOG 355 - Concepts in Geographic Education
GEOG 305 - Geography of Texas
GEOG 305 - Honors
GEOG 201 - Human Geography
GEOG 404 - Spatial Thinking, Behavior & Perception
Dr. Sarah W. Bednarz
Ph.D. Texas A&M University, 1992
University of Chicago, 1974
Mount Holyoke College, 1973
Dr. Sarah Witham Bednarz’s primary research interests focus on cognition, geography education, and ways geospatial technologies support the development of spatial thinking. Her secondary research interests include environmental and geosciences education and curriculum development and teacher preparation in these areas.
She has worked extensively in pre- and inservice professional development. Dr. Bednarz is a Commissioning Editor for the Journal of Geography in Higher Education. Currently she is chairing the Geographical Sciences Educational Research Committee, part of the NSF-funded project Roadmap to Geographic Literacy.
- Bednarz, S.W. (2011) Spatial literacy in the geographical sciences. Curriculum Making in Geography, Institute of Education, University of London & International Geographical Union
- Jo, Injeong*, Klein, A., Bednarz, R., and Bednarz S.W. (accepted) An exploration of spatial thinking in introductory GIS courses, in K. Foote, D. Dibiase, D. Unwin, and N. Tate (eds) Teaching Geographic Information Science in Higher Education, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Jo, Injeong* and Bednarz, S.W. (2011) Textbook questions to support spatial thinking: Differences in spatiality by question location. Journal of Geography, 110:70-80.
- Jo, Injeong*, Bednarz, S.W., and Sandra Metoyer* (2010) Selecting and designing questions to facilitate spatial thinking. The Geography Teacher, 7(2):49-55.
- Jo, I*. and Bednarz, S.W. 2009. Evaluating geography textbook questions from a spatial perspective: Using concepts of space, tools of representation, and cognitive processes to evaluate spatiality. Journal of Geography108:4-13.
- Bednarz, R.S., and S.W. Bednarz. 2008. The importance of spatial thinking in an uncertain world. In D.Z. Sui and S.L. Cutter (eds.) Geospatial technologies and homeland security. Springer.
- Bednarz, S.W., B. Chalkley, S. Fletcher, I. Hay, E. Le Heron, A. Mohan, and J. Trafford. 2008. Community engagement for student learning in geography. Journal of Geography in Higher Education 32(1):87-100.
- Bednarz, S.W., and R.S. Bednarz. 2008. Spatial thinking: The key to success in using geospatial technologies in the social studies classroom. In A.J. Milson and M. Alibrandi (eds.) Digital geography: Geo-spatial technologies in the social studies classroom, New York: Information Age Publishing.
- Bednarz, S.W. 2007. Mapping the way forward in an uncertain world: Spatial thinking and geography. In S. Catling and L. Taylor (eds.) Proceedings in changing geographies: Innovative curricula. London: Institute of Education, University of London; 13-28.
- Sinton, D. and S.W. Bednarz. 2007. Putting the G in GIS, In D. Sinton and J. F. Lund (eds.) Understanding place: GIS and mapping across the curriculum. Redlands, CA: ESRI Press, 19-33.
- Bednarz, S.W., G. Acheson*, and R.S. Bednarz. 2006. Maps and Map Learning in Social Studies Social Education 70(7):398-404.
- Bednarz, S.W. and Joop van der Schee. 2006. Europe and the United States: The implementation of Geographical Information Systems in secondary education in two contexts. Technology, Pedagogy and Education 15(2):191-206.
- Bednarz, S.W., J.P. Stoltman, and J. Lee*. 2004. Preparing Geography Teachers in the United States. International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education. 13(2): 176-183.
- Bednarz, S.W. and R.S. Bednarz. 2004. Geography education: A glass half filled. Professional Geographer 56(1): 22-27.
- Bednarz, S.W. 2004. Geographic information systems: A tool to support geography and environmental education? GeoJournal 60 (2): 191-199.
- Bednarz, S.W. and R.S. Bednarz. 2004. Geography education: A glass half filled. Professional Geographer, 56(1): 22-27.
- Bednarz, S.W. 2004. Geographic information systems: A tool to support geography and environmental education? GeoJournal, 60 (2): 191-199.
- Bednarz, S.W. 2003. Nine years on: Implementation of the National Geography Standards. Journal of Geography, 102(3):99-109.
- Bednarz, S.W. and R. S. Bednarz.. 2003. Alternative geography. International Handbook on Geographical Education, Dordrecht: Kluwer. 99-116.
- Bednarz, S.W., R.M. Downs, and J.C. Vender. 2003. Geography Education. Geography in America, (2nd ed.) (Gary Gaile and Cort Willmott eds.), Oxford University Press, 463-480.
- Bednarz, S.W. 2002. Using action research to implement the National Geography Standards: Teachers as researchers. Journal of Geography, 101(3):103-111.